Coping with Grief as You Navigate Life as a Caregiver
A monthly virtual peer support group
A virtual support group for adult children concerned about an aging parent with cognitive issues like dementia
Are you grieving the loss of your hopes and expectations as a family caregiver for your aging parent, especially when dementia or Alzheimer's is involved?
Caring for a loved one with cognitive illnesses can be a lonely and emotionally draining experience. Many family caregivers face the loss of their own identities, relationships, and expectations. This group offers a compassionate space to share your unique challenges and discover new ways to cope and regain a sense of hope.
Topics We Will Cover Include:
- Grief in the Shadow of Dementia and Alzheimer's: Understanding the special kind of sadness we feel when someone we love starts to forget things or act differently because of illness.
- Coping with Loss of Personal Identity: Learn how to handle feelings when you or someone close to you starts to feel or act like a different person.
- Navigating Changes in Your Relationship: Discover ways to handle the changes in how you connect with someone who is forgetful or struggling.
- Managing Expectations and Finding Hope Amidst Illness: Find out how to stay hopeful and keep a positive mindset even when things are hard because of your loved one’s health challenges.
- Connect with empathetic peers who understand the complexities of family caregiving grief.
- Gain insights into coping with the unique challenges of dementia and Alzheimer's.
- Find strength in a supportive community to regain hope and know you are not alone
- Navigate the emotional journey of adjusting to new roles and expectations.
- Rediscover hope and resilience as you transform your caregiving experience.
Dates and Times: This group will meet virtually, every 1st Wednesday of the month from 12 pm to 1 pm. Our first group meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at 12 pm.
Cost of Group: $100/session.
Other important information: Insurance is not accepted for this group. A 2 month minimum commitment is required for each participant. This group will be limited to 8 individuals and is open to residents of NJ or NY.
To sign up for this group, click here!